Summer is finally upon us and my kids might be just a tad excited to be done with school! Time for things to slow down a little for the Robertson clan during the summer which means I have a little bit more time to bake our family’s favorite dessert. This cake recipe has been passed from friend to friend, and it doesn’t take long for the pan to be empty. To kick off summer we thought we’d share one of our favorite desserts with you. Hope it satisfies your sweet tooth cravings as it does ours!
Blonde Texas Sheet Cake
- 1 box of butter recipe cake mix
- 1 cup – buttermilk
- 1/2 cup – butter, melted
- 4 – eggwhites
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- Beat together first 5 ingredients at low speed with electric mixer for 2 minutes or until blended. Pour batter into greased 15×10 inch jelly roll pan.
- Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes.
- Prepare Caramel Pecan Frosting. (Do this right before the cake is done baking)
Caramel Pecan Frosting
- 1 cup – chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup – butter
- 1 cup – light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup – buttermilk
- 2 cups – powered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon – vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon – almond extract
- Place chopped pecans in a single layer shallow pan.
- Bake pecans at 350 for 6 minutes.
- Bring butter and brown sugar to boil in 3 1/2 qt saucepan over medium heat, whisking constantly for about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and slowly whisk in buttermilk.
- Return mixture to heat and bring to boil. Pour into bowl of a heavy duty electric stand mixer. Gradually add powered sugar, vanilla, and almond extract beating at medium high speed. Stir in pecans.
- Pour over cooked cake immediately and enjoy!
**photography done by Katie Jameson Photography